In the fall of 2014, there will be two important leadership opportunities available. See the NJFEA Student and Advisor Leadership Institute program flyer and the NJFEA Future Teacher Leadership Institute program flyer.
The New Jersey Future Educators Association (NJFEA) first Student Leadership Institute was held from October 12-14, 2012, in collaboration with the Youth Leadership Tomorrow program sponsored by the New Jersey Principals and Supervisors Association/Foundation for Educational Administration (NJPSA/FEA). See the flyer and sample schedule and the Leadership Development Institute Fact Sheet.
The Institute took place at Camp Bernie located in Port Murray, New Jersey. Students selected for this weekend program worked under the direction of highly trained professionals who introduced effective leadership skills for participants to develop student-driven service projects to enhance their NJFEA chapters, schools, and local communities.
All NJFEA chapters were eligible to apply for the Leadership Institute. Requirements for participation included the following:
- An NJFEA chapter is invited to nominate between 3-5 active members who are current sophomores or juniors with minimum GPAs of 2.8 on a 4.0 scale.
- Students must be willing to participate in the entirety of the weekend Leadership Institute.
- Students will engage in outdoor physical activity as well as indoor problem-solving leadership activities.
- Students will plan and implement service projects that will benefit their NJFEA chapters and school communities.
- Students will be accompanied by their NJFEA chapter adviser or a faculty member from their respective high schools.
All expenses were paid for students and their chaperones including round trip bus transportation to Camp Bernie from The College of New Jersey, meals, snacks, lodging, and program activities. Funding for the Student Leadership Institute was provided by the New Jersey Education Association.